1. Why does the Lord stand off so far,
And why conceal his face,
When great calamities appear,
And times of deep distress?
2. Lord, shall the wicked still deride
Thy justice and thy pow’r?
Shall they advance their heads in pride,
And still thy saints devour?
3. They cast thy judgments from their sight,
And then insult the poor;
They boast, in their exalted height,
That they shall fall no more.
4. Arise, O God! lift up thine hand,
Attend our humble cry;
No enemy shall dare to stand
When God ascends on high.
5. Why do the men of malice rage,
And say, with foolish pride,
“The God of heav’n will ne’er engage
To fight on Zion’s side?”
6. But thou forever art our Lord,
And mighty is thy hand,
As when the heathen felt thy sword,
And perished from thy land.
7. Thou wilt prepare our hearts to pray,
And cause thine ear to hear;
Hearken to what thy children say,
And put the world in fear.
8. Proud tyrants shall no more oppress,
No more despise the just;
And mighty sinners shall confess
They are but earth and dust.
Author: Isaac Watts (Psalm 10)
Composer: Scottish melody
Song in the Night: Page 21